Don't F*ck Up Your Goals
CHRIS INCIDENT - STASIS
We're coming to the end of 2020 (yay?). That means we're approximately 30 days out form everyone setting superficial goals they keep for three weeks and then feel subsequent dread and remorse for not keeping them.
Well, at least you don't have to add going to the gym this year and fail there. I just cringed too at writing this fwiw.
Anyway, Dr. Benjamin Hardy wrote a piece recently about A Psychologist’s Extremely Practical Guide to Achieving Your Goals. If you want his long form and slighty unrealistic version go here.
For the rest of us, let's keep it simple.
- Define future you - Keep it in reach. If you want to be a CEO, start talking to CEOs. Your "current self is temporary" and your future you is defined by what you do today. So, think less, do more. Live intentionally with a clear picture of what you want in the future, how you want to feel, what do you want to stand for, what you want a normal day to look like.
- Broadcast that shit - Seriously. Tell everyone what you want to do. It will open doors.
- Know your shit - If you don't know your shit, start asking people. We wrote about this recently when adressing the topic of talking to your boss. Ask all the questions to as many people as you can how they got there, what advice they have, what you can learn from that. People love talking about themselves.
- Talk about the future you - Have you ever heard seen an artist talk about who they're going to work with someday and then it happens? You can do it too. Put it in your journal, Tweet, TikTok; tell everyone where you're going to be.
- Start small - Follow the pareto principle and allow 20% of your actions to create 80% of your results. Pick 3 small actions you can do daily.
- Start hard - Do the hardest thing on your to do list first and you'll feel better about the rest of the day.
- Stay accountable - Find someone to be your accountability partner in crime. Mine is Liv, hi Liv. Check in with them daily, weekly, whatever you need to do.
- Unplug - You're never going to be inspired by staring at a screen all day long. Build it into your schedule.
WORKOUT OF THE WEEK
FOLLOW THE LEADER